Kiplinger lists five countries where you can retire for $1,000 a month as follows:
Here's my take on this:
- Personally, I wouldn't want to live in any of these. None of them appeal to me in any way.
- That said, if you haven't saved much for retirement and don't want to stop working when you're 90, these offer a great option.
- I'm not sure I'd ever leave the US -- I like living here.
- If we ever did move to a foreign country we'd likely go somewhere more expensive -- like St. Martin.
- For now, I think our near-term plan is to live in Colorado most of the year, then spend anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months in the Caribbean when it's cold here.
Those are my thoughts. What would you like to add?